If you’re craving the taste of barbecue, you don’t have to wait for summer’s official arrival. This recipe for veggie ribs gives the same flavor without the grill, while also adding ingredients like, vital wheat gluten, which are full of vitamins and protein and cater to your overall health.
- 1 cup vital wheat gluten
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ¾ cup water
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 2 tablespoons tahini or other nut butter
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 cups of your favorite barbeque sauce
- Canola oil
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease 8×8 baking dish with canola oil.
2. Mix vital wheat gluten, nutritional yeast, smoked paprika, onion, and garlic powder in a large bowl.
3. In a separate bowl, mix the tahini, water, liquid smoke and soy sauce.
4. Add dry ingredients and mix well.
5. Lightly knead the mix—the longer you knead, the chewier your ribs will be.
6. Flatten the dough in the greased baking dish, cut into “ribs.”
7. Bake for 25 minutes.
8. Once they are cool, remove them from the pan and brush with barbecue sauce. Place on a grill or in a pan and let them brown. Flip and brown the other side.
More mouth-healthy Recipes: