Salmon is one of our favorite meals because it offers so many health benefits. Dress it up with rosemary, lemon, and a mint yogurt sauce to pack an even healthier punch! Plus, check out the benefits of eating salmon, rosemary, mint, and yogurt.
Health Benefits of Eating Salmon
Salmon is an excellent source of vitamins and minerals that support our oral and overall health. Salmon is packed with vitamin B. Studies have proven a correlation between B12 deficiency and developing gingivitis! Salmon has 51 percent of our recommended daily value of B12, so don’t hesitate to dive in!
Salmon is also a good source of potassium. Potassium supports dental health. Studies show that low potassium intake is linked with periodontal inflammation and high blood pressure. Salmon’s anti-inflammatory properties can be powerful. Experts believe that for many conditions, the root cause is inflammation.
Health Benefits of Rosemary
Health Benefits of Mint
Mint is one of our favorite herbs. It has anti-bacterial properties that make it effective in fighting off infections in the mouth. It can also aid in digestion, relieve headaches, and control nausea.
Health Benefits of Yogurt
Ingredients for the Salmon:
Serving Size: 2 servings
- 2 (5 oz.) filets of boneless, wild-caught salmon
- 5 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 2 lemons
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 cloves garlic
Ingredients for the Mint Yogurt Sauce:
- 2 (7-oz.) containers plain 2% reduced-fat Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh mint
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- Dash of crushed red pepper
- 1 garlic clove, grated
1. Remove the salmon from the refrigerator and let stand at room temperature for 10 minutes while you prepare the yogurt sauce. Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Line a sheet pan or baking dish with a large piece of aluminum foil.
3. Grate one clove of garlic. Finely chop 2 tablespoons of fresh mint. Half 1 lemon and juice.
4. Combine all other mint yogurt sauce ingredients in a small bowl. After mixing thoroughly, taste and add more pepper, salt, or lemon if you’d like. Cover and chill for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
5. Take your sheet pan or baking dish and lightly coat the foil with olive oil. Arrange 2 sprigs of the rosemary down the middle. Place the salmon on top, skin-side down.
6. Cut one of the lemons into thin slices. Lay the slices atop the salmon.
7. Drizzle olive oil over the salmon and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Rub to coat or use a brush to spread evenly over each piece of salmon.
8. Chop two garlic cloves. Scatter the garlic cloves over the top. Add as much lemon juice as you like.
9. Completely enclose the salmon in the aluminum foil by folding the sides together. Leave room inside the foil for air to circulate.
10. Bake the salmon for 15-20 minutes until the salmon is almost completely cooked. Take a fork and pull apart at the thickest part to see if it is pink or beginning to flake. Thinner slices will take less time.
11. After the salmon is cooked, poke holes with a toothpick or fork in the foil to release some steam before opening. Be careful of steam.
12. Change the oven setting to broil, then return the fish to the oven and broil for 3 minutes, until the top of the salmon and the garlic are slightly golden and the fish is cooked through.
13. Remove the salmon from the oven. Check again with a fork. If it appears red or underdone, wrap the foil back over and let it rest for five minutes. Flakiness indicates it’s ready.
14. Remove the mint yogurt sauce from the refrigerator. Serve atop the salmon or on the side.
Pair with a healthy side dish like this broccolini recipe!
Looking for more foods that boost your smile health? Check out: