Did you know that certain foods naturally cleanse, brighten and defend your mouth against bacteria that can harm your teeth and gums? There are two key factors you should keep in mind when it comes to a white teeth diet: chewing and saliva production.
Choose foods that actively work to clean and protect your teeth and you’ll be eating your way to whiter teeth. This could be a very effective and natural method of helping you to get those pearly white teeth that you are after, especially if visiting the dentist isn’t an option for you at the minute. But if you prefer going to the dentist to get them whitened instead, then places like Sky Dental Alliance can help get the smile that you deserve. You may want to try these methods below first to see if they work, as you could be saving yourself a trip to the dentist. Here are five of our favorites:
- Strawberries. Don’t let their cardinal color confuse you-strawberries contain malic acid, an enzyme that cleans your teeth and helps remove surface stains.
- Fiber-rich veggies. Crunchy veggies like celery do wonders for your waistline and your gum line. These fiber-rich foods stimulate saliva, which helps wash away food debris. Try switching up celery with broccoli, carrots or cauliflower-these vegetables deliver the same benefits.
- Dairy. Low-fat milk, yogurt and cheese are all white-smile superstars. In addition to tooth-strengthening calcium, dairy contains lactic acid. This acid fights decay and shields teeth against harmful bacteria.
- Flaxseed. Flaxseed is rich in Omega-3 fatty acid, the most potent anti-inflammatory nutrient, and foods that reduce inflammation may protect against gum disease. Mix flaxseed into muffins or your morning smoothie.
- Pineapple. Pineapples can help whiten teeth, thanks to an enzyme called bromelain that acts as a natural stain remover. Eating this juicy tropical fruit also increases saliva production, which helps keep plaque from forming.
Know of other foods that contribute to a healthier, brighter smile? Tell us about them in the comments!